Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Tuesday 25 October 2011

What's the point of pretending?

I enjoyed this exchange (below) on Facebook this morning, which I came across through my friend, the internet curate, Sally Hitchiner. I appreciated J's response, acknowledging that total honesty is the best, in fact the only, policy in prayer, and I liked the Nuns' prayer. Our children make fun of the way we used to tell them, "You're tired," when they were grumpy and out-of-sorts, but it's true that our physical state does affect our spirit and emotions, and vice versa.


The nuns live in Oxford, and I must say they look a jolly bunch. They describe themselves: "We are a community of contemplative Benedictine nuns with a special interest in using the internet for spiritual outreach. We run Veilaudio, a free audio book creation and loan service for the blind and visually impaired, a dedicated email prayerline, and offer online retreats."  Their mission is to live "a life of prayer and praise, to the glory of God and in the service of others". 

It's not unusual to hear people write nuns and monks off as being out of touch. Nothing seems further from the truth. I've just finished reading Anthony Howard's biography of Basil Hume - the Monk Cardinal. An impressive unpretentious godly man who had a pastor's heart and grappled with the thorny issues of his day. I'll be very interested to see tonight's BBC1 programme, "Young Nuns". "Filmed over 6 months, the documentary gives a unique insight into a rarely seen world, challenging stereotypes and exploring what convent life can still offer young women today." It follows two women in their twenties following their sense of calling. I trust it will be inspiring.


Today we pray for everyone who is feeling tired, grumpy, cantankerous or out-of-sorts: may the Lord have mercy on us and all we meet.
    •  J I do know that we can pray to God exactly as we are , for what's the point of pretending? It's good to have a reminder though and I smiled ruefully at "May God have mercy on ...all we meet." I never realised, when I started using Facebook to keep in touch with young relatives that I'd be using it as part of my daily prayers too.
      2 hours ago

    • Benedictine Nuns, Holy Trinity Monastery 
      J, life is full of surprises, isn't it? We don't have to let social media be 'trivial' — though I'm far from sure that our offerings don't often come into that category! Jawbones of asses spring to mind . . .

No comments: