Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Sunday 6 May 2012

Keeping hope in the storm

I've not been aware of this picture by Rembrandt "Christ
in the Storm" before today when a friend from University
who has cancer pointed it out. He likes especially the
cruciform mast and the use of light and dark contrasts. 
Two years ago, at the New Wine festival, from where this blog originated, some folk from Exmouth prayed with me. Since then they have become good friends. Sadly we didn't see one couple again as they set off on an expedition of faith. They are visionaries and pioneers. Nicky and Mike Temple began a blog for their friends, called "P is for pilgrim". Nicky has just posted one entitled Stormy Weather, illustrated, I assume, by some of Mike's great photographs (Mike Temple Photography). These are extracts:
"I have been pondering the storm and its effects over the past few weeks, pondering how we, as followers of Jesus, navigate the storms of life, how are we to ride the 'perfect' storm? How do we remain in victory through the storm? What does it look like to come through the storm without losing hope and remaining steadfast?" 

She writes about Brendan (the Celtic saint) and Reepicheep (!) in their coracles launching into uncharted waters, having to ride the storms and trust in God's navigation for them. I don't know what storms Nicky is talking about in her case, but they're clearly real; she loves to call God "Papa" (the English equivalent of Jesus's Aramaic name for him, "Abba"). And she also talks about the childhood experience of having a rotten day at school.
"Our storms often feel like 'one of those days' in which we're just getting it all wrong and bumbling our way through the wind and rain. It is so easy for shame and heaviness to set in but Papa is there, right there, closer than air, taking our head in his gentle hands and saying "I'm so proud of you". He loves us through the storm, pure, simple, powerful love that keeps no record of wrongs. Religion might measure how well we navigate the storm, keeping score of good days and bad - ticks and crosses. That is not the heart of Papa God. He knows storms are a messy business! He loves us through the raging seas and is not concerned with our response. He is concerned with loving us more fiercely than raging circumstances and telling us how well we're doing, how amazing we are! He never once abandons us. 

"He has a plan, a great plan that He is forging through the storm. All storms end and as we keep hope, as we cling, as we yield through them we are transformed and transported to new places in Him. I'm not sure when  my stormy weather will finally break, but I know it will. I believe that Jesus is good always, faithful always and kind always. He knows my heart, He understands me fully and loves me beyond imagining. So I can wait, I can ask for rescue and I can trust knowing that the sun will come out."

As I remember, Reepicheep, the valiant mouse, in the Narnia Chronicle The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, sailed in his coracle on a huge wave straight into Aslan's country. Scary but infinitely worth it.
I recommend Nicky's post.  Thank you, Nicky.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Keeping hope in the storm "
What a wonderful picture. Currently it is my desktop background.
When I was a child,we used to sng a hymn at school called "Sweet Sacrament Divine" ( all these hymns learned in childhood stay in the memory cupboard and become more meaningful as life goes on.
This verse is especialy relevant and lovely.
"Sweet Sacrament of rest,
ark from the ocean's roar,
within thy shelter blest
soon may we reach the shore;
save us, for still the tempest raves,
save, lest we sink beneath the waves:
sweet Sacrament of rest x2.
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s382.htmlAt present I feel like praying "Please wake up Lord, I am sinking. Save, lest I sink beneath this wave. I am frightened. I know I don't deserve your help but I need you."

Another Hymn
"I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
Oh, bless me now, my Saviour,
I come to Thee".



Anonymous said...

This was the comment on today's Gospel as seen in http://dailygospel.org/M/AM/

Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross [Edith Stein] (1891-1942), Carmelite, martyr, co-patron of Europe
Poems « Psalm 46.1 », 28/04/1936 ; paraphrase of Psalm 45/46 (trans. ©Susanne Batzdorff, 1990)
"The boat immediately arrived at the shore to which they were heading"
Whenever storms are roaring,
You Lord, are our support.
We praise You, God, imploring,
You guide us safe to port.
Safe, secure we stand,
Trusting hold Your hand,
Though the mountains quake
Mighty oceans break.

When swelling waters frighten
When solid mountains sway,
Joy comes our life to lighten.
Our thanks to You we say.
In Your city dwell,
Keep her safe and well.
A mighty river shelters
God's lofty citadel.

The nations rage in frenzy,
The splendour of the proud
Falls when God speaks with mighty voice
No thunder is so loud.
God is with us here.
Lord of hosts, You’re near,
Our light and our salvation.
Therefore we have no fear.

Come here, that you may see them,
The wonders of His might
Discord must surely vanish
Where He brings peace and light.
Spear and mighty shield
To His light must yield
The Lord God indeed
Rescues all in need.

Michael Wenham said...

"Please wake up Lord, I am sinking. Save, lest I sink beneath this wave. I am frightened. I know I don't deserve your help but I need you."
The wonderful thing is, isn't it, that all we have to do is ask? It's not a matter of our deserving. It's His grace. The sacrament is the sign of His presence and His love, a sure consolation.

Anonymous said...

Michael,
It's impossible to express how helpful and encouraging is your blog although sometimes it nearly reduces me to tears when your words make His presence so felt.
Again Thank-you

Dorotheus of Gaza (Sixth Century) Humility and Communion
The Letter from Calcutta quotes this text from Dorotheus of Gaza on page 4:

“Imagine that the world is a circle, that God is the center, and that the radii are the different ways human beings live. When those who wish to come closer to God walk towards the center of the circle, they come closer to one another at the same time as to God. The closer they come to God, the closer they come to one another. And the closer they come to one another, the closer they come to God.” (Instructions VI.)