Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Sunday 22 June 2014

My wife and the Holy Spirit

Chapel of the Holy Spirit, Walsingham, Norfolk
I hardly know where to start! Most churches have celebrated Pentecost and Trinity Sundays in the past few weeks. But it strikes me that the Holy Spirit nevertheless receives something of a raw deal, even though Pentecost is "His" festival, and since the 70s He has appeared much more in Christians' vocabulary.

There was once a widely used and mildly derogatory expression, "nominal Christians", meaning people who called themselves Christians but gave very little evidence of committed faith in practice. (The oft-reported decline in church attendance seems to me to be more a symptom of the increasing demands of real faith on nominal allegiance in a society drifting towards secularism.) I wonder whether today we are witnessing a new phenomenon of "nominal charismatics", ie Christians who talk about the Holy Spirit but who deny His reality and power.

In simple terms nominal charismatics refer to the Spirit as an inanimate "it", or "spirit" with a lower case s, implying something like "influence" or "character". The legacy that Jesus left behind was... his spirit, his influence, his example. The truth, as Jesus makes clear repeatedly, is much more than this, just as a person is much more that a shadow. The Holy Spirit is dynamic, active and above all personal. He is no less personal than God the Father and God the Son. (By the way, I use the masculine pronoun "He" as that's the habit of our Bible translations; but I'm equally at ease with the feminine "She", being equally personal - but never "it". God must be at least and more than personal, but never less.) His coming to the disciples at Pentecost demonstrated His power and interaction with people.

As this beautiful hymn by Irish musicians, Keith and Kristyn Getty, makes clear, the Holy Spirit is part of the mystery who is God: "Holy Spirit, Breath of God" with Kristyn & Keith Getty. Whatever else He is an active agent, not a passive possession. And so Jesus describes Him as a helper, a witness, a counsellor, a strengthener, a guide. I could go on, looking at what is sometimes known as The Acts of the Holy Spirit (Acts) and what Paul says about Him. I could relate how He impacted, unlooked for, my life. But I want to finish with what I recently found a helpful picture.

It starts, inappropriately, with my regular expeditions to the toilet. I am very unsteady on my feet and use a rollator (a wheeled zimmer). Getting into our toilet is a tricky operation, leaving my rollator outside and transferring precariously to grab-rails and trying awkwardly to turn round. Often I find hands steadying my waist at the point of greatest danger. Jane has glided up silently and unasked, and saves me from disaster. Occasionally in dire straits I shout out and there she is - panic over! Then I reflect how many details she has already thought of - everything is prepared, in position as I need it.

And wider than that, actually I depend on her for my survival from waking to going to sleep. She's there with me through my tough times - helping and encouraging. She enables the highlights of my life! She's my constant companion - and she does not seem to mind. In fact she likes to do it. Which is why I'm confident that she will, as she said well nigh 40 years ago, have and hold me until death parts us.

Of course I can be bolshy. I can refuse her help. I sometimes won't ask for her help; and in that case she doesn't force herself on me. I can and have been ungrateful and ungracious. I sometimes grimace when she stretches my muscles to keep me as mobile as possible, even though I know it's for my good. In a literal way through her I'm still alive and move and have my being. Mostly I am quite aware of how much I owe her and am full of gratitude.

It strikes me that there are a lot of parallels between the way Jane relates to me and the Holy Spirit's relationship with the believer. It is a personal relationship. There is a dynamic about it. I frequently grieve Him. He often surprises and delights me. One difference is that He proposed to me! Another is on His part, although He relates to me personally, it's not exclusive. The Holy Spirit - much as I love my wife - is infinitely greater in his scope. His activity is not restricted to caring for one person, or even one group of people.

As the great Jesuit poet Hopkins put it:
"There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs -
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings."

He has an infinite individual love, because He is God. And I'm grateful.

5 comments:

leafyschroder said...

Thought you might like this prayer. Loved your post and agree with every word of it.
The Holy Spirit is alive and active here too in so many ways; supporting us as we struggle to get Adult Social Care to acknowledge that we have fallen into a black hole here. There has been no Warden for the last 3 years and we lurch from 1 crisis to another, trying to help one another and battling for recognition that help is needed.



SEND YOUR SPIRIT

"Send your Spirit and all will be created and you will renew the face of the earth."
The Spirit who re-creates us.
Send your spirit first of all, with priority, to create me anew, all of me.
Set me free from my sins, my fears, my complexes, and fill me to overflowing with your wisdom, your power, your life.
The Spirit who reveals the Father
Send your Spirit who searches out and reveals your unfathomable Father-tenderness for all your sons, whether prodigal or not.
May he teach us to recognise your voice and to tune in to it without interference on your own wave-length?
May he teach us to pray, calling you by the name of Father, with the heart of a child who knows that he is loved and understood.
The Spirit who reveals the Son
Send your Spirit who reveals the secret of your son, "in whom you placed all your joy" and in whom we place all our hope.
May he lead us to understand the Gospel, verse by verse, in its burning reality.
And may he help us so to translate it at the heart of the world that when men see how Christians live they may recognise in them the light of his face, the tone of his voice, the compassion of his heart and the tenderness of his smile.
The Spirit who reveals the Church
Send your Spirit that he may also reveal to us the true face of your church beyond the shortcomings of his disciples who walk with a heavy step, weighed down by 20 centuries of history.
May he draw us into the hidden mystery of the Church, of which Mary is the living icon, and may he abide with us so that your Church may remain, for each passing generation, the faithful witness, the true interpreter, the sacrament of Jesus.
The Spirit who restores unity
Send you Spirit on your divided Church in its painful quest for visible unity; that your disciples may quicken their step to hasten the hour when Love and Truth will be but one in the home of your reconciled children; so that the scandal which has lasted all too long may come to an end and that the world may believe in him whom you have sent.
The Spirit who reconciles Send your Spirit upon this world of men so that he may win the victory over their oppositions and liberate them from the hatred and injustice which tear them apart; so as to create among them that brotherly fellowship which they gropingly seek, and which springs from the sovereign fellowship of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Spirit.
Cardinal L. J. Suenens with Dom Helder Camara

leafyschroder said...

http://www.stucom.nl/document/0235uk.pdf

There are some profound and beautiful thoughts in this book.

leafyschroder said...

sorry. Kept getting told I hadn't done the captcha properly!

Michael Wenham said...

You obviously had, Ann! Maybe all the comments are telling me to read it!

Thanks for the prayer.

leafyschroder said...

Apologies again!