Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Praying through pain

A couple of weeks ago I was asked what prayers I'd suggest for someone enduring terminal illness. The prayers which I suggested were the final prayers from Compline, the ancient night-time service. For many of us, much of the experience is dark and like night, waiting for the dawning of the new day. In my old church we used to say Compline, with reading the Gospel accounts of Christ's passion, in Holy Week. The church would mainly be in darkness, with just enough light for the few of us to listen and pray together. The readings would always end with Jesus dying. We would wait for the dawn to come.

These are the prayers:

Lighten our darkness, we beseech thee, O Lord; and by thy great mercy defend us from all perils and dangers of this night; for the love of thy only Son, our Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Be present, O merciful God, and protect us through the silent hours of this night, so that we, who are wearied by the changes and chances of this fleeting world, may repose upon thy eternal changelessness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Look down, O Lord, from thy heavenly throne, illuminate the darkness of this night with thy celestial brightness, and from the children of light banish the deeds of darkness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, who at this evening hour didst rest in the sepulchre, and didst thereby sanctify the grave to be a bed of hope to thy people: make us so to abound in sorrow for our sins, which were the cause of thy passion, that when our bodies lie in the dust, our souls may live with thee: who livest and reignest with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God world without end. Amen.

Visit, we beseech thee, O Lord, this placeand drive far from it all the snares of the enemy; let thy holy angels dwell herein to preserve us in peace; and may thy blessing be upon us evermore; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Then comes a response which is from Psalm 4.8, which, when we were children, we used to hear every night when my mother tucked us in bed. 
We will lay us down in peace and take our rest;
For it is thou, Lord, only, that makest us dwell in safety.

This is a good week (as good as any can be!) to be ill, I think, because we're especially aware of how Jesus shared our human nature in all its weakness, and even in excruciating pain. He knows absolutely how dark the night can be - even more than us, because it was blacker for him. And his promise is, "I will never leave or abandon you." The best thing about the week, of course, is that its end turns into Easter Sunday. Pow! Morning comes. "Christ is risen. Hallelujah." "Hallelujah. He is risen indeed!"


Jane and I, last weekend, went down to see her parents in South Devon. On the way, we stopped to put flowers on my parents' and aunts' grave in Wiltshire. I'd forgotten the inscription at the foot of the stone: "Awaiting a joyful resurrection". The grave has become "a bed of hope to thy people" - because of Jesus. Thank you, God.

5 comments:

Annis said...

Shakespeare says again and again that illness is given for the purpose of "self examination before God" to draw closer to Him. They are very spiritual "gifts". These quotes are from my revised version of "Sickness Its trials and Blessings" by Priscilla Maurice (died aged 43):

"The good we have tried to do we see for the first time, revealed by some strange and searching light....drives us closer to the Cross. Let us ask ourselves, Who then shall separate me from the love of God in Christ?. Though all the powers of Hell be against me - all his holy powers are on my side. Jesus said "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me ....yet not as I will but as as you will".

Jesus tasted death that He might understand it so that not one of His children might ever pass through this fear alone. There is One who knows and understands it all who looks into our heart the most tenderly when He knows that no one else can.....

For those for whom life has been very sweet who have had many ties, especially the nearest, who have comforts and earthly blessings, it is a difficult thing to say "Thy will be done". For others, whose ties have been few who have no one who loves them best, it may be easier.

"Let me never choose either to live or die, Bind or bruise in Thy hands I lie, I rejoice that Thou choose for me".

Annis said...

There is some soul of goodness in things evil,
Would men observingly distil it out.
For our bad neighbour makes us early stirrers,
Which is both healthful and good husbandry:
Besides, they are our outward consciences,
And preachers to us all, admonishing
That we should dress us fairly for our end.
William Shakespeare
Thus may we gather honey from the weed,
And make a moral of the devil himself.

Michael Wenham said...

Where's that from, Alison? Hamlet?

Michael Wenham said...

Ah, Henry V.

Stephen said...

I love these prayers. Thanks for the post.