Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Tuesday 21 February 2012

Shrove Tuesday

I liked today's Facebook status from the nuns who live near here at East Hendred. They are looking forward to Lent (which starts tomorrow) so positively. Their mention of confession reminded me that the word Shrove is the past tense of the old word "shrive", which means to seek forgiveness through confession. "Today, Shrove Tuesday, we pray for all who will be keeping Carnival, all who will be making their pre-Lenten confession, and all who have not yet thought about Lent. Lent is such a time a grace - we don't want to waste a minute of it!" 


I don't know the origin of Carnival - or Mardi Gras - as today is also celebrated. Maybe it's the celebration of the assurance of forgivenness, or maybe it's the final blow-out before six weeks of fasting - which, by the way, I discovered last week, has proven physical as well as spiritual benefits (Fasting protects your brain). Maybe it's an unrestrained version of our very reserved Pancake Day, using up the goodies in the larder before Lent.


A friend of mine is taking up "exercise" for Lent. Her friends are intrigued by which dimension she's going to exercise in. I suspect she means simply physical, but its point will be to focus more on God. Which is what the nuns mean by Lent being a time of grace - a time when we can make extra time to be more aware of His presence in our daily lives, whether by giving something up or by doing something different. And the great thing is that as we do that for 40-odd days, it becomes part of our lives that sticks. You may not succeed 100% in your good intentions, if you're human! And that's why today is such a good preparation for Lent, as it reassures us that we are normal when we fail, but God is extraordinary in his faithfulness:
"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us" (1 John 1.8-10).


Here's praying we all find Lent a time of grace.

1 comment:

Michael Wenham said...

I've since learned that 'Carnival' is the day when you eat up the meat (cf carnivore) before Lent, hence it's big-blow-out time.