Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Saturday 28 December 2013

Human flesh and a Happy New Year

My former college, Wycliffe Hall, kindly sent out an Advent devotional this year. On Christmas Day, reflecting on the Gospel reading from John chapter 1, the principal wrote this about "the Word became flesh". I liked it, and tried to remember it through the day. 

If God could be God when one cell small in the womb of Mary, then we can be human when we are constrained. When we feel cramped. When we feel trapped. When we feel that life is not giving us the scope to be ourselves. Limited circumstances did not stop God from being God, and limited circumstances will not stop us from being human, or from being ourselves – or (Luke 1:44) from giving joy to others” (Dr Mike Lloyd).

I hope you like it too. Enjoy a fully human New Year - whatever your circumstances!

7 comments:

leafyschroder said...

“If God could be God when one cell small in the womb of Mary, then we can be human when we are constrained. When we feel cramped. When we feel trapped. When we feel that life is not giving us the scope to be ourselves.
In other words, mostly every day!
Limited circumstances did not stop God from being God, and limited circumstances will not stop us from being human, or from being ourselves
–that is what is so encouraging. or (Luke 1:44) from giving joy to others”
and that even more so. It is such a gift to think that, constrained, trapped, diminished, we may still bring joy to others. It renews hope, and keeps it burning even when sometimes at low ebb.
Thank-you for passing on those encouraging thoughts Michael.

leafyschroder said...

A friend of mine in Australia, is a Prison Chaplain.
I have sent her Doctor Mike's reflection. Thinking about it, it seemed to me that it may be a sentiment which could be helpful to her in such a ministry?
She is a 'Brown Joey' an affectionate term for the Sisters of St Joseph founded by St Mary McKillop in Australia. She was canonised last year ( or maybe the year before)
On the feast of the Epiphany she will be celebrating 55 years as a Brown Joey!
50 plus years ago I did my Teacher Training in their Teacher Training College in North Sydney where I was living at the time.
They no longer have a Teacher Training College there now.
I was never a Brown Joey buy have very much to be thankful to them for in the training they gave us Students. I remember them with so much affection.

leafyschroder said...

You would never think I'd been a teacher!
The above post is so muddled. One of the 'she's' referred to is St Mary McKillop who was canonised last year, not my friend.
But it is my friend who will be celebrating 55 years.
Sorry folks for the bad writing!

leafyschroder said...

"Human Flesh" thoughts
Last evening I watched what was the most profoundly moving film I have ever seen, "Of Gods and Men"
The true story of 7 Trappist monks who were devoting their lives to the community in which they lived in North Africa. Finally, they gave their lives. Having been given the opportunity to leave, they refused. Subsequently they were kidnapped and beheaded.
The whole film, showing segments of their Community life and life among the people,is most profoundly moving, spiritual and unforgettable.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/februaryweb-only/godsandmen.html
It links to what was said previously about limited circumstances not stopping us from being ourselves.

leafyschroder said...

"limited circumstances will not stop us from being human, or from being ourselves" –
I was strongly reminded of this when I watched the DVD "Of Gods and Men" This a profoundly affecting film. It is the true story of the Trappist monks of Tibhirine.They gave their lives in service of the Community in which they lived.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/februaryweb-
only/godsandmen.html
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/sony/ofgodsandmen/
two of the monks confess to the village leaders, "We are like birds on a branch. We don't know if we'll leave." One Muslim woman answers, "You are the branch. If you go, we lose our footing."
This I a truly profound deeply moving and challenging film. It gives meaning to Dr Mike's reflection.

Michael Wenham said...

You are right, Ann, Of Gods and Men is an extraordinary and powerful film - all the more so because it's true. It shows the grittiness of agapé love, which our Lord pioneered and the Spirit inspires.

Michael Wenham said...

PS I did understand it was Sr Mary McKillop who'd been canonised!