Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Tuesday 20 December 2011

Sad but not hopeless

I was out at the doctor's for a routine visit yesterday, and so John left a message. It was the saddest news. His lovely wife who had MND for a very short time has died. Their home is at the other side of Grove. She had deteriorated so rapidly. As John later commented, their overwhelming sense was gratitude that Jean hadn't suffered longer. It is a wretched disease - and a wretched time to lose someone.

This is my prayer for Jean:
Support us, O Lord,
all the day long of this troublous life,
until the shadows lengthen and the evening comes,
the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over,
and our work is done.
Then, Lord, in thy mercy, grant us a safe lodging,
and a holy rest, and peace at the last;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. (attributed to John Henry Newman) I'm reminded of St Paul's, "If for this life only we have hope, we are of all men most miserable." But we do have hope, which lasts beyond this life.  For Jean that hope is reality.