Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Saturday 31 December 2011

Thank you

It has been quite a year! Punctuated in the middle with my fall in July with its surprisingly long-lasting effects, and more dramatically with Jane's fall a couple of weeks ago, and yet, as the album of our year which Apple kindly assembled for me bears witness, also with a great deal of merriment and sadness, and above all love.

I've found that Jane's accident (from which she is marvellously recovering) has knocked me out of my accustomed pattern of Bible reading and prayer. Not that I've stopped praying. Indeed I'm often thinking prayerful thoughts as I sit here - and remember people's situations. But - and maybe it's also the effect of the festive season - I've lost that pattern and habit that was part of each day. And so today's Three Minute Retreat has focused things again for me.

It's based on Psalm 96.3.

"There are days when we feel God's presence and want to sing God's praise. And there are days when our hearts feel dark and we wonder if God is really near. We can get busy and miss the blessings God offers us. One way to recognize these everyday blessings is through personal reflection. By making a habit of noticing God's action in our lives, we can let God's light shine into any darkness we experience. Then we, like the psalmist, can proclaim God's glory." 
One of the questions which follows is "How can I make a little time in my life for daily personal reflection?" I'm thinking about my answers and praying for grace to act on them in 2012.

God, help me to slow down
and notice the many ways you bless each day
so that I may grow in the practice of gratitude.
Amen

4 comments:

Brotherly love said...

I'm not sure that habits are good for prayers?

Michael Wenham said...

Oh Brother! As in monk?

Annis said...

I agree - with the proviso that we must be more gentle with ourselves in disabilities. When I was really disabled, I could not take communion (wheat allergic), read much nor pray sitting up until God showed that
a) my brain was damaged
b) prayer takes a lot of energy (so does spiritual receptiveness) and
c) I could just "rest in Him".
He fed me "verses" e.g. I would get an inner urge to read a particular verse without having any idea what it was. For example, one day, I asked for "the purpose" of my illness and He gave me 2 Corinthians 1.4. When I looked it up, I was astonished that it said "Comfort others with my comfort I have given you". When I got better He withdrew "hand-feeding" and I realised that I must make the effort myself - which I too must do more. I am only telling this to demonstrate that God responds to faith in Him. Faith is "the key".

Michael Wenham said...

Thanks, Alison, and point taken. I'm often telling people to be kind to themselves, but sometimes forget for myself! But we all live in a state of grace - thank God.