Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Somewhere to go

A week ago we went to David Thomas' funeral in Cholsey. The church was full, and we heard more about his distinguished career. It was a celebration, as he'd have liked. We has Dixie music at the beginning and very end. It was also a sad occasion, naturally, because his family will miss him hugely. I was glad the vicar used this prayer:
"God of all consolation,
your Son Jesus Christ was moved to tears
at the grave of Lazarus his friend.
Look with compassion on your children in their loss;
give to troubled hearts the light of hope,
and strengthen in us the gift of faith,
in Jesus Christ our Lord", which I very much like.

I love the recognition that Jesus is not immune from our pain. He knew what it was like to have a loved one die. He cried with the bereaved Mary and Martha. He knows the pain - but he also gives them, and us, hope. "Didn't I say if you trusted (me) you'd see God do something amazing (God's glory)?" They had to wait to see what they scarcely could imagine. We may have to wait longer to see it. The common factor is Him.

The service finished with the great hymn "How great Thou art", which ends with the verse:
"When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, my God, how great Thou art!" The best word there for me is home. It's no ordinary home, wonderful though those are - where the heart is! When we reach this home, we'll say, "Aah! So this is where I really belong." And our hearts will find the rest and peace and joy they've always longed for without knowing what it was. We'll rest in divine love.

No comments: