Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Thursday 2 May 2013

Spring in Sussex

Over the weekend we visited our family in Ashburnham near Hastings, a lovely estate which is the home of a large Christian Prayer and Conference centre. The weather was clear and sunny, mostly, if a bit chilly. Spring had definitely sprung in East Sussex. I've written previously about visiting there last autumn - Ashburnham. This time we heard a nightingale singing in the bushes near the family's garden on two evenings - the first time I'm sure I've heard one. There is something special about listening to its varied song in the twilight.



On the Sunday morning we attended the small local church in the centre of the grounds next to the once grand house. The people were very welcoming, but I especially liked the invitation to communion which the visiting minister used. It was something like this:


"This is the table, not of the church,
but of the Lord. 
It is made ready
for those who love him,
and those who want to love him more.
So come, you who have much faith
and you who have little,
You who have been here often 
and you who have not been for a long time,
You who have tried to follow and you who have failed,
Come …
Not because it is I who invite you. 
It is our Lord.
It is his will that those who want him
should meet him here."

I believe these words come from the Iona Community. I like the way it's phrased as an invitation from Christ and is addressed to people who are aware of their imperfections. It's not the well, it's the ill who need a doctor. The good news is that in Christ we have the perfect doctor.

PS I've just come across this quotation on the blog called Goodness and Beauty:
“If I were a nightingale I would do the work of a nightingale; if I were a swan, the work of a swan. But I am a rational creature, so I must praise God.” – Epictetus. Right on!!

2 comments:

MichelleTwinMum said...

It most certainly was a lovely weekend at Ashburnham this last one and I really enjoyed the church service too. I hope you had a wonderful visit with your family. Michelle

Michael Wenham said...

We did have a great time, thanks, Michelle, and it was good to meet you and all your family. No doubt we'll see more of you. Enjoyed reading your blog about your time. Michael