Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Saturday 18 May 2013

Touching the face of God

Leafyschroder sent me this prayer based on Victor Hugo. It comes from a website called Praying Each Day. It is for 22nd May (http://www.prayingeachday.org/May22.pdf) presumably last year. It reflects on Les Miserables

"We who weep come to you, Lord, 
because you always share our sorrow.
We who suffer come to you, knowing that you cure.
We who are afraid come to you, because you smile on us.
We share in your life because you share ours 
and so we know, God of love, 
that 'to love another person is, indeed, to touch your face'.
May we live in your love forever. 
Amen."

This week I've been away talking in London and Chelmsford about the sanctity of human life. Something I profoundly believe is that not only did God mysteriously and wonderfully create life, but also in the incarnation God made it sacred (John 1.14 - "The Word became flesh and dwelt among us... full of glory"). With Western eyes, we tend to think this means He became a perfect physical specimen, but in fact St John tells us His glory is revealed only on the cross, in that battered, helpless and all too mortal body suffering to the very end. That should make us radically redefine our view of "dignity".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your daffodils!
Reading your inspirational words about the Dignity of life,took me back to the lovely post you put up recently about the 13th Station of the Cross. From an App you had found. This was part of it.
"When you can’t feel my presence, I am there. Grasp me through faith. That is how you grow – through faith. I could not and would not forsake my Son; I will not and cannot forsake you, his disciples. I sent you my very own heart in my Son. I am with you always.”
I cannot find your post but had copied it and saved it.
May the Holy Spirit give you today His gifts and fruits in abundance and continually bless the work you do Michael.

Michael Wenham said...

Amen!