Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Saturday 14 September 2013

Mutual support

My faithful correspondent, Leafyschroder, made a great comment after my last post. If you, like me, tend to skip comments after blog-posts, I want to make sure you haven't missed it. So here it is:
"The well known 'Lessons from the geese' was written in 1972 by Dr Robert McNeish of Baltimore, Ohio, in the USA. He was a science teacher who had been intrigued with observing geese for years and wrote the piece for a sermon he delivered in church. More information can be seen on the web site of Sue Widemark. 
Lessons from the geese
by Dr Robert McNeish
Fact 1: As each goose flaps its wings it creates an uplift for the birds that follow. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.
Lesson 1: People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.
Fact 2: When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it.
Lesson 2: If we have as much sense as a goose we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others.
Fact 3: When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into the formation and another goose flies to the point formation.
Lesson 3: It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each other's skills, capabilities, and unique arrangements of gifts, talents, or resources.
Fact 4: The geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
Lesson 4: We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement, the production is much greater. The power of encouragement to stand by one's heart or core values and encourage the heart and core values of others is the quality of honking we seek.
Fact 5: When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to help and protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then they launch out with another formation or catch up with the flock.
Lesson 5: If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we are strong."


The photo above was taken in Norfolk - where my correspondent used to live. Thank you, Leafy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely photo. Thank-you Michael. It used to be just wonderful to listen to and watch them.
Now we live very near Windsor Great Park. Huge and beautiful trees, heavily occupied by pigeons!
There is one spot in our car park here which I have dubbed "Pigeons' Revenge". We avoid it like the plague for reasons I leave to your imagination. I can only comment that seller of cans of Bird Lime Remover must do a brisk trade!
Still a wonderful place though!

Unknown said...

Leafy, Thanks for sharing that article. I have been fascinated by the migrating wild geese since I was a boy roaming the Green Mountains of Vermont. Their cries still turn my eyes and heart to the sky. God reveals much of Himself, His power and wisdom, in the wonders of all He made.