Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Sunday 7 August 2011

The bishop and the pee

A couple of weeks ago, I fell over backwards - such is a hazard of Motor Neurone Disease. The initial shock was bad enough, I thought, but the after-effects (bruising, soreness and aches and pains) have been harder to shake off. The downer about it was that we were due to go to New Wine last week. That has been a high point in my spiritual year since I became ill and could no longer go camping. Jane, my wife, drives me to the cottage in Barton St David in Somerset and wheels me round the Bath and West Showground, which is where New Wine takes place.

Thanks to praying friends, in the event, last Monday, we made it to Shepton Mallet and have had a wonderful, if uncomfortable, time. I thought I'd reflect on some nuggets which have helped me. So I'll start with the Ugandan bishop. Bishop Zac Naringiye was wonderfully down to earth and passionate. He spent last Lent, I think, in a Kampala slum, which even for him was an severe education, and he told us about a young American woman who did the same. He told us her experience of drinking bottled water before she went to bed. She woke up in the night wanting to go to the loo. (He was graphic in his analysis of slum sanitation, and the failure to remedy it.) However, the doors were shut, the loo was outside - and she couldn't get there. I won't tell the whole story, partly because I was in fits of uncontrollable laughter - Bishop Zac is a class stand-up comedian - and partly because, if you want, you could get the whole talk (NEWB07411, from www.essentialchristian.com). The immediate point he was making was that she prayed desperately about "pee", and actually that was entirely appropriate because God is concerned about all aspects of our lives. And I thought, "Actually, I have prayed about just such earthy matters too." And I was relieved to have received a bishop's blessing for having done so.

The point for this blog, I think, is that there's nowhere that God is absent. We'll find him in the most improbable situations - confined to our homes or to a nursing home or hospice, even on our hospital beds or in our wheelchairs. I'm hoping that together we'll discover the truth of that amazing poem, Psalm 139:

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?   If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;    Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.    Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

5 comments:

Caz4Him said...

Great blog michael it's a good reminder that God is interested in every thing we do. I often pray for a parking place, Len has some diffulties walking and we found the Lord has provided a parking space for us. We proved it that God does care about everything just remembering that does.
God Bless Carol xx

Brotherly love said...

Years ago, a bishop told my wife "We sent missionaries to Africa: within our lifetime they will be sending missionaries back to us!".

Michael Wenham said...

It IS amazing, Carol, isn't it, that the God of the universe could be interested in the details of our lives? And yet it seems to be so. Jane and I had 3 such experiences last week. It's a great mystery, but then God himself is unimaginably mysterious.

He was right, Brother. Bishop Zac was so gracious and yet challenging, and full of the love of Christ.

Anonymous said...

It often seems that God will answer a simple need before a great one. We can pray for car parks, and we do, but we still unload our wheelchairs from our cars. Why is that?

Michael Wenham said...

I'm chewing over that question, Roderick, in my next post. I don't know where I'll end up! You'd better pray for inspiration.