Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Saturday 20 August 2011

A busy week

I'm very lucky. I can't say I have a boring life. It's frustrating sometimes - when I think about it! And uncomfortable when I fall over - wretchedly! But for example this last week we've had my in laws with us, who are a pleasure to be with. In fact we managed an outing to the Oxford Botanic Gardens, where I have to confess I was more excited by the filming of ITV's Lewis than the cactus greenhouse. 


And then I had a deadline for an article for Friday Night Theology, which reflects on a matter in the news that week. I like working to deadlines, and the theme I chose was the clamour for punitive sentences for folk involved in the "riots": Restorative Justice, in case you'd like to read it! But it was good turning my mind to something entirely different.


On the same subject, I came across this today in TearFund's monthly Reflections series. It's good to turn the spotlight on other people's troubles. I've highlighted a couple of paragraphs which I thought have wider implications about caring and being cared for. We're meant for community:

BlackBerrys and Somalia

17 August 2011
It’s difficult to make sense of a world where people using £300 BlackBerrys loot shops for £100 trainers they don’t really need, while emaciated families in Somalia flee trouble spots and drought in a bitter bid for survival. 
But scratch the surface and there is a connection: the deep human need for support networks and – above all else – God’s redemptive love.
A common lament from young rioters was that nobody respected or listened to them, that the world is greedy anyway, so why couldn’t they join in? Others felt they had no future, so there was little to lose.
Sadly, gang culture can offer a sense of belonging for those who lack strong parental figures or role models.
But whatever the justifications of this young (and sometimes older) minority, it wasn’t long before the full force of the state was battering down the doors of those caught with their hoods down.
The truth is that whatever difficulties or injustice we face, we all need boundaries. And these are best imparted in the context of family and community.
Photo: Kieran Dodds/Tearfund
Ogongora village in Uganda where community is strong but children lack the poverty safety nets of richer countries.
Richard discovered this in Uganda. He was caught in a downward spiral of poverty that led to drinking and violence – and that led to more poverty. His marriage was on the rocks. Some of his friends were dying because of their self-destructive behaviour.
The turning point for him was when he committed his life to Jesus and joined his local church. Now he has a community that holds him accountable and offers him love and support.
The Bible says when we submit to God’s discipline, we will reap a harvest of righteousness (Hebrews 12:11). In Richard’s case, he found this harvest included his physical, as well spiritual needs.
As for the situation in Somalia, we see the suffering unleashed when armed warfare becomes the norm among militias (many of whom are conscripted children).
But we can also witness God’s love right at the edge of life as physically frail family or community members protect even weaker ones in the desperate search for food and water. 
Then there’s the gentle compassion shown by doctors, nurses and relief staff in the face of overwhelming need.
By following God’s command to ‘love your neighbour as yourself’; they also fulfil the twin injunction to ‘love the Lord your God with all your soul and with all your mind’ (Matthew 22:37-39).
And that’s surely our best hope as we seek to make a difference in East Africa and problems closer to home.

No comments: