Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Wednesday 10 August 2011

Feel free to be real

"We've already seen the role of silence in prayer... But we still want to find words as well, because relationship works two ways... So for us, when our words strain and crack, we will find psalms to give expression to our inner thoughts" (I Choose Everything, chapter 10 'Praying truthfully'). I'm somewhat astonished and ashamed at my presumption in writing those words for publication, because, although I'm sure it's true, to be honest, the Psalms are by no means my prayer-book.

Which is one reason why I went to the seminar at New Wine given by David Rowe, the warden of Lee Abbey, on 'Praying the Psalms'. Again I was challenged and helped. (I don't know why I like being made uncomfortable by talks - maybe it's like the stimulation of a cold shower!) He quoted the American theologian, Walter Brueggemann, who categorises the psalms as psalms of orientation, disorientation, and new orientation. I've not yet got hold of his lectures, but this is the blurb: "Walter Brueggemann contends that the Psalms offer us words during the long seasons of our lives. They offer us words when our worlds are stable and ordered and well. They offer us words when our worlds are awful, filled with hopelessness and fear. They offer us words when our worlds have been miraculously transformed and all has become new. Each lecture explores a different season we live through and the language the Psalmists spoke to God when they were in that season also. Sometimes abrasive, sometimes euphoric, there is always a word offered that we may speak to God.

"Laments are of particular interest to Brueggemann. He comments how most laments have never been selected to be included in the lectionary. There are a couple which occur every three years, but an individual could attend church their whole life and never hear the majority of them. Brueggemann contends lament is important in our lives and in our conversations with the Almighty. He believes our speech before the throne doesn’t have to be nice, just honest. These prayers act as hope: things do not have to stay the way they are. God can make newness for us."


You can watch short clips on YouTube. How do we pray when we just feel desperate and miserable? What do we say when we've no praise in our hearts and actually have nothing nice to say to our heavenly Father? Do we just maintain a rude surly silence? Brueggemann talks about the "lament" Psalms . "Our speech before the throne doesn't have to be nice, just honest" - what a relief! How do we pray about the "riots"? How can the young rioters pray about their grievances? Brueggemann on Psalms of vengeance. Well, we and they are allowed to express our anger to God - which is why we should use all the Psalms in our worship. Otherwise we and they have two options: to act on our anger, or to deny it. Much better to bring it to the Divine Therapist and leave it to him. We can't shock him. He loves us too much.

As the Psalms repeat like a refrain, "His steadfast love endures for ever." Reality when we pray is OK. In fact it's essential. "These prayers act as hope: things do not have to stay the way they are. God can make newness for us." It's good news for the disabled, the ill, the housebound, who are tempted to self-pity, and for the grieving. But I guess it's as good for all God's family. The thing about being honest is you don't have to remember your previous lies!

2 comments:

Anita Mathias said...

Wow! New Wine this year sounds amazing. We might go to next year's!
Curious, do you mean prescribed, or proscribed?
Your account of the talks is very interesting!

Michael Wenham said...

Probably neither, Anita! Just being pompous. So I've now changed it to what I meant. Thanks for the heads up. The music is still LOUD at New Wine!