Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Friday 29 March 2013

Disempowered Friday

Today I've had a fresh reflection on Good Friday. For disabled people, one of the most painful experiences is that of being disempowered. No one can really understand the acute frustration of sudden or gradually increasing powerlessness, unless they've experienced it themselves. All at once or bit by bit your ability to do the simplest tasks is stripped away. You can't dress yourself. You can't turn on the light. You can't cook what you want. You can't get out of the house. The "can'ts" proliferate endlessly.

from "The Passion of the Christ"
I'm fortunate in that I have a wife and family - and friends - who enable me to do what I wish or have what I need. But not everyone is so blessed. In a strange way, having disability forced upon you, mitigates the pain, because you just have to lump it and make the most of it. You have no other option - except to wallow in the quicksands of self-pity. That way, as I've said before, lies madness.

Yet it struck me, as I was coming down in the lift this morning (it takes longer when it's this cold), that on that Passover preparation day, which we now call Good Friday, Jesus experienced the nadir of powerlessness. Mel Gibson's film The Passion of the Christ showed in stark and shocking focus the extent of his powerlessness in the face the able-bodied empowered representatives of political, religious, philosophical and popular forces. Not only are his clothes stripped off, but also his skin is flayed off him.

And the crucial difference, of course, is that at every point he does have an option. He could at any point have said, "Not yours, but my will be done." He could have asserted his power. However his was an entirely voluntary powerlessness in order that death and evil should be allowed to do their worst with God. What they did was as bad as it can get, worse that the greatest film-maker or artist could ever depict.

And yet, as we know, today is not the end of the story. But it already holds a crumb of encouragement for the powerless. He has been there - and beyond. As the Bible puts it, "We don't have a High Priest who's unable to sympathise with our weakness but one who's been tested in every way like us except without failing." There's a modern song which has the line, "It was my sins which held him there / until it was accomplished". In fact, I think a stronger power than "my sins" held him to the cross that day, and that was His love.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you and empathises with you in your 'powerlessness' But you are not powerless. Your enormous courage, depth of humanity, humour, and perception are really powerful in the encouragement they give to others who are simply trailing along the way.
It's difficult to express how glad I am that I found "Room With A View". That's exactly what it does. Gives us a fresh perspective and slightly less FOF.
Thank-you so much.

Michael Wenham said...

Bless you!

Unknown said...

Thank you Michael. And thank you Jesus for the power of your love that we see in the strength of your will to suffer the 'cup' of your Father's judgement.

Anonymous said...

Yours is not dour. Thought provoking in a different way which is very good for us all.
“ Words For It”
by Julia Cameron
I wish I could take language
And fold it like cool, moist rags.
I would lay words on your forehead.
I would wrap words on your wrists.
"There, there," my words would say–
Or something better.
I would ask them to murmur,
"Hush" and "Shh, shhh, it's all right."
I would ask them to hold you all night.
I wish I could take language
And daub and soothe and cool
Where fever blisters and burns,
Where fever turns yourself against you.
I wish I could take language
And heal the wounds that were the words
You have no names for.

Michael Wenham said...

Thank you for the last two comments. Particular thanks for that lovely poem. It expresses so much.