Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Sunday 10 March 2013

FOFOF

FOFOF - not a misprint for BOGOF. It's an innovation we started on Friday with our friends, Pete and Jane. It stands for... No, first let me explain. We were having a meal together in the evening, and relaxing with Jane's (not my Jane) rather excellent cake and coffee. I'd said a bit about my sermon of the week before - they don't attend the same church as us. I'd been preaching about God the restorer and used the illustration of kintsukuroi. As someone said to me today, a picture speaks a thousand words. And this one did.
The point was fairly straightforward. It's like what God can do with the broken bits of our lives - if we'll let him. I found this rather apt quote from the website of the Japanese kintsukuroi artist, Hirasawa Hakusui, "Please feel richness and the tender-heartedness of the mind that oneself has in repairing the container by all means." I had pointed out that it wasn't talking about instant miracle cures but about painstaking bit-by-bit life-long restoration. The sad thing is that often we don't recognise the beauty in the finished product.

Anyway, going back to Friday (and kintsukuroi is sort of connected), a few weeks back we had determined to pray more regularly for other people. And so we compared notes - the conclusion of which, in brief, was that we all totally failed. Hence the start of FOFOF - the Fellowship of Failure (on Fridays): FOF for short. We reckoned it might not be hopeless, remembering that Jesus said something like, "I've not come for the successes, but for the failures in life. I've not come to mend the undamaged but the shattered, " and he seemed to be more at home with the drop-outs than with the people who'd made it. 
So, if you're down this way on a Friday, and feel you might fit might the description (and hungry), you're welcome to come to FOF - just give us a call (01235 760094)! And if you're not down this way, it's still true: Jesus loves the failures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How compassionate and encouraging to have a "Fellowship of Failure"
I cannot begin to express how very much it is needed by me on a personal level.
If there is a Fellowship of Failure it signifies to me that perhaps it will help to root out fear which is so crippling.
May you all be richly blessed for the encouragement, honesty and humour to be found here in so many ways.
Thank-you

Michael Wenham said...

Dear Leafyschroder
I think Jesus came just for the failures like us. The sad thing is that people like me have often MADE people afraid of their own weakness and failure by not admitting our own or by not giving others permission to express themselves honestly. That is SO unlike Jesus. I think the Church is meant to be a Fellowship of Failure, not so that we're one big pity party, nor that we're a "pull-yourself-together" show, but so that we can encourage each other with the love and grace of God. May He bless you and give you joy this Easter. Michael.