Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Sunday 28 April 2013

Abandoned?


I've recently come across an app of the Stations of the Cross produced by the Daughters of St Paul. This comes at the 13th, when Jesus is taken down from the cross. It reminds me of one of my favourite sculptures, The Pieta by Michelangelo. The meditation imagines God the Father speaking. “My only begotten Son, how my heart breaks for you. You perfectly accomplished my will. For love of me and love of humanity, you withheld nothing. You gave and gave and gave. With you I am well pleased. I sent you into the world as the very incarnation of my heart. You are heart of my heart. I could never forsake you, my Son, never. Though you did not feel my presence, I was there. I was with you in the garden, as you took upon yourself humanity’s sinfulness. I was there when you accepted the cross and fell on the road. I was there when the spikes pierced your body, and when you forgave those who brought you to the cross. I was there when you surrendered your life to me. I was there. And to your devoted disciples who have walked with you, I say I am with you as I was with my only begotten Son in his agony and death. When you can’t feel my presence, I am there. Grasp me through faith. That is how you grow – through faith. I could not and would not that forsake my Son; I will not and cannot forsake you, his disciples. I sent you my very own heart in my Son. I am with you always.”

God our Father, sometimes I feel like Jesus that I am all alone in my struggles. At those times you are closest to me, but my faith is weak. Faith is your gift to me. Help grow in faith and to remember that You are with me always.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That is just so beautiful and encouraging it made me cry.
It has also come just when I needed it most . I have saved it to read over and over and absorb.
Thank-you Michael

Anonymous said...

It also put me in mind of an extraordinary book I read called "The Shack"
http://theshackbook.com/
a really down to earth exposition of God's love, even though the book is fiction, based on a real life experience.

Anonymous said...

When I was reading your beautiful quote, which I find so helpful, it also made me think of this prayer of Victor Hugo's which I really love.
http://www.prayingeachday.org/May22.pdf
I do find "Room With A View" an inspirational and calming place to be. So thank-you again Michael.

"The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace"