Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Saturday 13 April 2013

The secret of grateful hearts

Here are three contributions I've received this week which I'd like to pass on.  The first is from Ann (to whom I'm also indebted for the seasonal - let's hope! - photo). "We learn to let our neighbour be, just as we learn to let God be. Not to manipulate our neighbour, but rather to reverence him, to reverence his importance, the wonder of his being. In other words, to love him" (John Main).

The second comes from Alice Tremaine's Prayers for Health website.
"Time and time again I learn that having a grateful heart really does make all the difference in how we live, how we are able to cope with life's tragedies, and whether we are able to bless others. There have been numerous studies on the positive effects of gratitude to one's mental and physical health. Gratitude is often associated with greater happiness and sense of meaning, and even overall health. 
"I remember the first time my father was hospitalized after being diagnosed with ALS. He had fallen and had developed a blood clot in his brain. I traveled to Brazil (where he lives) to be with him and help care for him during that transition from hospital to home. 
"Those first few days after his hospital discharge were very stressful and difficult. In a short time, my father had suffered significant losses in his ability to care for himself. 
"I remember taking a few moments to be by myself during those difficult days. There was an enormous temptation to feel sorry for myself and for my family; why has this happened? How are we supposed to do this? 
"I realized quickly that, if I were to be any help to my father, I couldn't wallow in self-pity for long. Some lamenting and crying and protesting is normal and probably healthy, but I decided I couldn't let myself stay there. I had to find the small and big things that I could be grateful for, like the good care my father received in the hospital and the fact that I had the chance to spend some meaningful time with him. "Gratitude really does change everything, and there is always something to be grateful for. We just need to look. 

"Verbal prayer: Merciful God, thank you for the gift of Life. Thank you for the beauty of nature, and for the love of family and friends. Help me to have open eyes to see the ways in which you are blessing me, and to offer thanks in every circumstance. Amen." 

And last but by no means least from Leafyschroder. "This prayer of Cardinal Newman's called the 'Fragrance Prayer' means a great deal to me...
Prayer of Blessed John Henry Newman
Dear Jesus
Help me to spread Thy fragrance everywhere I go.
Flood my soul with Thy Spirit and Life.
Penetrate and possess my whole being so utterly
That all my life may only be a radiance of Thine.
Shine through me,
And so be in me that every soul I come in contact with
May feel Thy presence in my soul.
Let them look up and see no longer me
But only Jesus.
Stay with me
And then I shall begin to shine
As Thou shinest,
So to shine as to be a light to others;
The light, O Jesus, will be all from Thee;
None of it will be mine;
It will be Thou shining on others through me.
Let me thus praise Thee in the way Thou dost love best
By shining on those around me.
Let me preach Thee without preaching,
Not by words but by my example,
By the catching force of the sympathetic influence
Of what I do,
The evident fullness of the love my heart bears to Thee.
Amen." 

I think Newman was echoing Paul in 2 Corinthians: "Thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumph, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere." Or maybe he's also thinking of Mary of Bethany in John's Gospel, "Mary took a pound of costly ointment of pure nard and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair; and the house was filled with the fragrance of the ointment." Whichever, they are both a heart response to Jesus' great love for us. May you receive that love tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gratitude Changes Everything is a beautiful link, for wich, again, thank-you.
Often am nearly reduced to tears by the courage and gratitude evidenced by the people here
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?55878-When-the-time-comes
Read some of their heartfelt poetry and feel their graitude and love. Wonderful.
hankfully, U don't ( as yet) have Alzheimers but I used to be a Caregiver to awonderful lady who did. I'll neve forget her.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sorry for the typos. wich should read "Which" hankfully="Thankfuly" I meant to write "I" don't have Alzheimers!
The Alzheimers 'Talking Point' link is very moving.

Michael Wenham said...

Thankfully, too, I don't have Alzheimers - as yet! I much admire and feel for those who care for sufferers.