Welcome

I got the idea for this new blog at the end of the week of New Wine, a Christian festival in Somerset, in August 2011. You might guess from my profile that, although not entirely house-bound, I don't very often get out, and it occurred to me that I might try to create a blog to encourage in our faith people like me whose lives are limited in one way or another. I'm hoping that readers will feel able to contribute their own positive ideas. I'm not sure how it will work, but here goes...!
Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see...
A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye,
Or, if he pleaseth, through it pass
And then the heaven espy.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

Sunday 7 April 2013

Divine Mercy

I wouldn't have known if my good friend, Mary, hadn't told me that today is the Feast of Divine Mercy.  (Hitherto I'd known it as Low Sunday, which seems a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy both of mood and attendance in church. Much better having a feast to reflect on the heart of the Holy Week story.)  I'd downloaded an app which I looked at before this morning's service, since we'd got to church early so that Jane could set up crèche. In the Litany for today there's this lovely line, "Divine Mercy, astonishment for Angels, incomprehensible by Saints - I trust in You". We see God's mercy personified in our Lord Jesus himself. It reminds me of the lines in Charles Wesley's And can it be:
"Tis mystery all: the Immortal dies! Who can explore his strange design?
In vain the first-born seraph tries to sound the depths of love divine.
'Tis mercy all. Let earth adore, let angel minds enquire no more." Sadly that verse isn't on my favourite version, by Lou Fellingham and Phatfish, though the new Archbishop had it near the end of his service (Justin Welby's inaugural service, 25+min in).

At the end of the Litany comes this prayer, "Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy will, which is Love and Mercy itself. Amen."

I'm chuffed to bits that my original hope for this blog, that others would contribute their own insights, has begun to happen with comments like those of Leafyschroder and others that have been sent direct to me - of which more tomorrow or soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are 'chuffed to bits'. You more than deserve to see the fruits of your labours.

On a silly note, one of my hopes when I post something here is that I will be able to decipher the captcha words which prove I'm not a robot.If I were a robot would they be easier to make out!
Sorry, I'm just being daft!

Anonymous said...

Last night and this morning, lying in bed, the words of Moses about tying the love of God about your wrist and on your forehead (I couldn't remember the exact words) kept running through my mind as something to cling to in times of darkness.
5"Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads."
It has since occurred to me that your blog is all about this Michael,talking about God's words as we sit at home and walk along the road.
It makes me doubly glad that I found your blog.
I still find the dark joy Pope Francis spoke about one of the hardest things to avoid as I walk along the road. UED's everywhere!!

Michael Wenham said...

I found that quotation from Moses most helpful. I have taken literally to tying the love of God every morning about my neck recently, which I've found a helpful reminder through the day of whose I am and what He's called me to. It hadn't occurred to me that it had such ancient Biblical precedent. I'm encouraged. Thank you!